Update; Sept 25th: I spoke with many protesters, police officers, journalists, bloggers, and bystanders. I documented my experience on Twitter and Google+. The quick and dirty takeaway is that the protest as a unit is smaller and less focused than the media hype would have you believe. Yet many protesters, as individuals, are well-educated, articulate, and share a common frustration with the economy, lack of socialized health care, and Wall Street “gambling.”
Along with the @abcnewsradio team I helped to cover the 10-year anniversary of the attacks on September 11th. I manned the social media ‘desk.’ Using a Google Voice number, followers shared short audio memories of September 11th. I pruned and edited the audio submissions then uploaded each to Soundcloud. During the ceremony I slowly released short segments via Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+.
In this episode…Christiane Amanpour travels to Libya where she acquires exclusive interviews with two of Gadhafi’s sons. Also, Jake Tapper hosts a Roundtable about the trouble in Wisconsin with Governors Niki Haley, Jan Brewer, Deval Patrick, and John Hickenlooper.
Last night the United Nations Security Council issued a statement on Libya. This morning the United Nations office for the spokesperson for the Security General, Ban Ki-moon, issed a statement on Libya.
Mr. Ban’s statement in english is below.
REMARKS TO THE SECURITY COUNCIL ON LIBYA
New York, 26 February 2011
Distinguished Members of the Council,
Let me express my appreciation to the Security Council for its work today.
I welcome the resolution you have just adopted unanimously. While it cannot, by itself, end the violence and the repression, it is a vital step, a clear expression of the will of a united community of nations.
The actions taken by the regime in Libya are clear cut violations of all norms governing international behaviour and serious transgressions of international human rights and humanitarian law. They are unacceptable. It is of great importance that the Council in response has reached the consensus and is determined to uphold its responsibilities for the maintenance of international peace and security.
When I addressed this Council yesterday, I noted that fundamental issues of peace and stability are at stake across the Arab world, and that our collective challenge is how to provide real protection and halt the ongoing violence. I urged you to consider all options for action. You have now done so, in a wide-ranging resolution.
The text sends a strong message that gross violations of basic human rights will not be tolerated, and that those responsible for grave crimes will be held accountable. I hope the message is heard, and heeded, by the regime in Libya. I hope it will also bring hope and relief to those still at risk. The sanctions you have imposed are a necessary step to speed the transition to a new system of governance that will have the consent and participation of the people.
For my part, I will continue to monitor the situation closely and remain in close touch with world and regional leaders to ensure their support for swift and concrete international action.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my solidarity with the people of Libya as they brave the bloodshed and as they cope with possible shortages of food and medical supplies and other humanitarian impacts. As the Libyan people take their destiny into their hands, as is their right, I hope that the new future for which they yearn, peaceful, prosperous and democratic, will soon be theirs.
I commend the Security Council for its decisive action today. In the days ahead, we will look for similarly decisive steps from the UN General Assembly and the international community as a whole.
Today’s measures are tough. In the coming days, if needed even bolder action may become necessary.
- Sunday Morning 2.0 = @Daily on the iPad and live news from @AJEnglish on the @RokuPlayer. #
- Hot damn I can't wait to complain about the heat and watch baseball in the AC all night #PitchersAndCatchers #
- A bird waits for the train – literally @ Chambers St Downtown A Train http://instagr.am/p/BjhWQ/ #
- Egypt: With Mubarak Out, New Sense Of Purpose In Tahrir Square http://bit.ly/hUWRho #
- Ticket = Purchased. See you at SXSW. #
- In light of this week’s revolution in #Egypt we present a Weekend Revolution Playlist. It’s Revolutionary but Gangsta http://bit.ly/fuToFQ #
- Video: creepysleepy: http://tumblr.com/xuf1hks9hw #
- Obama Hails Mubarak's Resignation: 'Egypt will Never be the Same' – abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1hk8ud9 #
- RE: @abcnewsradio @aaronkatersky has been in #Cairo for @abcnewsradio for the past week, if I remember correctly. Hi… http://disq.us/14247b #
- Egypt: Jubilation In Cairo As Transition Begins To Take Shape – abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1hj7go3 #
- ABC News Radio: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Responds to #Egypt – abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1hj2yvt #
- @BaghdadBrian Let's rock it. in reply to BaghdadBrian #
- @BaghdadBrian Yo I'm down for that. in reply to BaghdadBrian #
- Egypt: Hosni Mubarak Steps Down as President – abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1hi2723 #
- #Mubarak steps down – listen live to ABC News Radio in #Cairo to history in the making http://abcrad.io/live http://tumblr.com/xuf1hi03z8 #
- #Breaking News: Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak Steps Down: http://abcn.ws/i7Zo0q #Egypt #Jan25 http://tumblr.com/xuf1hhyjwc #
- Choose Your Own Adventure: #Lost Edition: http://tumblr.com/xuf1hhv0fk #
- Phew. Big news day. Sorry to slam you all day with breaking news. Thanks for sticking around – you dudes kick much arse! #
- ABC News Radio: Mubarak Not Stepping Down as Egyptian President – abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1h9ui4q #
- "I announced that I will adhere to this position and I will also announce… I will continue to shoulder…" http://tumblr.com/xuf1h9pa9j #
- Trying to figure out his Facebook privacy settings #ReasonsMubarakIsLate #egypt #
- ABC News Radio: Comprehensive Coverage of the Egyptian Revolution – abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1h809ap #
- Video: The crowd noise is massive. This is history happening live, on-air, now. abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1h7gl97 #
- "Twitter has been the main feeding point in this revolution." – @abcnewsradio’s Aaron Katersky reporting… http://tumblr.com/xuf1h78ol7 #
- RT @abcnewsradio ABC News Radio is reporting live right now from #Cairo Egypt – listen live at http://abcrad.io/live in reply to abcnewsradio #
- Breaking: ABC News Radio Live Coverage from #Cairo http://tumblr.com/xuf1h76663 #
- @ChazFrench Oh, you must have me confused with @andyellwood in reply to ChazFrench #
- OMG I'm full of teh socialz! And mediaz! And hyper-local check-inz! — at Disruptive Pivoting and Viral Synergies http://gowal.la/c/3w17c #
- Audio: The first single from The Strokes in over five years. juicebox-: http://tumblr.com/xuf1gynvgn #
- motherfucking second. RT @slarkpope motherfucking co-sign. RT @moorehn: For my NYC peeps. RT @MayorEmanuel: FUCK THIS MOTHERFUCKING COLD. in reply to slarkpope #
- Whatever Happened to Alternative Nation? Part 9: 1998: You’re either with Korn and Limp Bizkit, or you’re… http://tumblr.com/xuf1go85gv #
- Follow @buddhamagnet if you'd like to learn a thing or three about programming Rails. He's helping me install @joindiaspora on @Heroku. in reply to buddhamagnet #
- @buddhamagnet Dude, thanks a ton! Updating gems from 1.8.7 to 1.9.2 – we'll see if that fixes anything… in reply to buddhamagnet #
- Anyone know if Current.tv has a Roku channel? #
- @joindiaspora Hey guys – would love to rap about using you for some @abcnewsradio projects. Got an email I can ping? in reply to joindiaspora #
- Video: Check-In to Sex http://tumblr.com/xuf1gfwh8v #
- "The world of the social network is a dark place" – Winklevoss twins – a 3-part video from The Daily http://kopo.in/g1c7Rt #
- @37signals customer support is the best. Ever. #
- Ug, Twitter fail. Ha! Will this post… #
- Hot damn, @Gawker's redesign is great. #
- My mongodb skillz are fail. ALMOST had Diaspora up and running but borked the db. Alas. #
- @BaghdadBrian Not soon enough. But in the mean time, kidney-punch @joshwolff for me. Also, he has a phat #pannus in reply to BaghdadBrian #
- @katyzack Thanks in reply to katyzack #
- Video: Bill O’Reilly Interviews President Obama From @ABC News abcnewsradio: http://tumblr.com/xuf1gcxts4 #
- @katyzack Yep, been following some of the posts. Interesting stuff. in reply to katyzack #
- @DaveAlpert Thanks a ton! #
- @JackRice Hey, do Minnesotans know/care about John Thune? Hearing very quiet chirps of Pawlenty/Thune-lust. Which sounds gross. And awesome. #
- @katyzack Real life IS a social network. Everything else – websites included – are just a layer. Sinue at best. in reply to katyzack #
- @BaghdadBrian By the by, you up in Portland by now? Doing any SXSW action? in reply to BaghdadBrian #
- @buddhamagnet I too was baffled by the request for a symlink – especially in the database file. Let's talk Rails backchannel. in reply to buddhamagnet #
- @markmilian Agreeance. in reply to markmilian #
- @kc0mmy Love the Roku. in reply to kc0mmy #
- @powkang Ha! Touche! in reply to powkang #
- @BaghdadBrian I'm not allowed to have opinions But if I were I'd say Aol's purchase of the Huffington Post is a very, very smart move. in reply to BaghdadBrian #
- @SXSW credentials – submitted. #
- From @NYTimes: Betting on News, AOL Is Buying The Huffington Post http://kopo.in/ibrrsm #
- @LDpodcast Damn. I am neither safe nor family-friendly. in reply to LDpodcast #
- I am next year's half-time show. Hell, I'm next Monday's half-time show. #
- RT @jeffhinz: eminem shoulda been the halftime #
- @jennydeluxe It's just you. in reply to jennydeluxe #
- What Football looks like – cc: @andyellwood @ The Half Pint http://instagr.am/p/BcV5N/ #
- Football — at The Half Pint http://gowal.la/c/3uRev #