Hello World: I Have Resigned From ABC News.

Friends:

I have resigned from ABC News and today, Friday, November 18th, will be my final day in the office of ABC News Radio. January 13th, 2012 will be the final day of employment by ABC News.

I am humbled by and grateful for my experience at ABC News, and humbled by and grateful to my colleagues-in-journalism and the lessons they have taught me.

I will now run a company called KoPoint, INC. KoPoint will aggressively pursue its agenda.

I leave you with a speech from Patton, of which I borrow for strictly creative and non-commercial purposes:

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you’ve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don’t know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we’re going up against. By God, I do. We’re not just going to shoot the bastards, we’re going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We’re going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you’ll chicken out under fire. Don’t worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend’s face, you’ll know what to do.

Now there’s another thing I want you to remember. I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We’re not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We’re going to hold onto him by the nose and we’re going to kick him in the ass. We’re going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we’re gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

There’s one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won’t have to say, “Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana.”

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle – anytime, anywhere.

That’s all.

Dan Patterson

27 Comments

1. Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Congrats!!!

Taking the leap and doing what you really love to do is a big move and I’m damn proud of you!

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Comrade: thank you very much for your support and wonderful words. I am proud of you too and couldn’t have done it without trailblazers like you.

2. Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Dan, you’ve done incredible work at ABC Radio and beyond. We’re humbled to know *you*.

If you need a hand with KoPoint INC. — or any other project — never hesitate to give me a shout. I’ll drop what I’m doing to help.

Remain awesome, sir.

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Thanks, J.C., though you have it backwards: I’m humbled to know YOU.

Now: let’s rock some shit.

3. Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Dan,

Super proud to call you friend, and am confident that you will surpass any success you have had this far in your life.  It only takes a minute of talking to you to know that you are passionate and educated; two qualities which will ensure your success in this next endeavor.

Don’t forget us little guys when you’re taking over the world!

Kudos!

S2

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Friend, thank you for everything – ESPECIALLY for putting up with me for the past few years. Ha!

I AM the ‘little people,’ and I’m stoked to work with you to build a better and brighter future!

4. Posted November 18, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Good luck in the new venture. Now following on twitter. I wonder how many people get the ‘Hello World” reference.

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Thanks buddy – and likewise! Wonder how we weren’t following until now?

Ha! A serious tip of the hat to our Tribe.

5. Posted November 18, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Right on and congrats on the move to do what you love!

6. Posted November 18, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Congrats Dan, if you need anything drop me a line.

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Thanks, buddy – I really appreciate it. Looking forward to working together this year!

7. Elisa Camahort Page
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

As one leaper (and movie quoter) to another: Fasten your seatbelts it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

And one I doubt you will EVER regret taking!!

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Sage advice, indeed, Elisa. Thank you for everything.

8. Anonymous
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am – a reluctant enthusiast….a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.“  — Edward Abbey

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

My friend, that is expert advice from one of my favorite childhood authors.

Thanks for everything – ready to rock!

9. Posted November 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Welcome, fellow alumnus. Can’t wait to see what you’re cooking up. (Not meth, is it?)

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Ro – been a long time coming!

Nope, not meth. Just a media revolution ;)

10. Posted November 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

You will be missed!

11. ppearlman
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Dan and best luck in you in your new venture! Cant wait to hear more about this.

• Posted November 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Phil, you and $STOCKTWITS have been a helluva inspiration. Thanks buddy – let’s rock some action soon.

12. Posted November 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

A day late, but no less enthusiastic…  Congratulations and good luck, Dan. I’ve no doubt you’ll continue to give ‘em eloquent hell, now even more freely!

13. Terri MacMillan
    Posted November 27, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

late to the party, but I just heard on This Week in Google: congratulations!

• Posted November 27, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Terri! Big props to Leo and gang for being such great hosts, and thanks to you for swinging by!

14. Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Wow, Dan! I’m late to the party, but I want to give my congrats and well-wishes.

Good for you for taking the plunge. If I can be of service, I’m happy to help.

Now go kick some ass!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 12,455 other followers